- On February 1, 2013 the Szołayski House will be open to the public until 4 pm. due to the opening of the exhibition "Szymborska’s Drawer".
We are sorry for the incovenience.
- NEW EXHIBITION in The Szołaysky House: Forever Young! Poland art and it's art around 1900
Szołayski House is a two-storey building located on a corner near the main Market Square. The imposing façade faces Plac Szczepański (Szczepański Square); a considerably more modest side faces ulica Szczepańska (Szczepańska Street), near such buildings as Teatr Stary (the Old Theatre) and Pałac Sztuki (Palace of the Arts).
The oldest part of the building dates from the fifteenth century. The structure acquired its present form as a result of rebuilding in the seventeenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Originally the property of a well-to-do townsman, from the second quarter of the seventeenth to the end of the eighteenth century it belonged to the monastery of Boże Ciało (Corpus Christi) before again passing into private hands. Substantial expansion took place in the years 1815‒1818, following the establishment and during the construction of Plac Szczepański (Szczepański Square). From 1849 to 1856 the Cracow newspaper Czasu (“Time”) was edited and printed here. Beginning in 1902, the building belonged to a family of landowners, the Szołayskis, who in 1904 bequeathed it to the National Museum in Cracow. Following the death of Włodzimiera Szołayska in 1928, the building was adapted for the museum’s use. The official opening of this department of the museum (named after Feliks “Manggha” Jasieński, one of the museum’s largest donors) was held here at the end of 1934. During World War II the building was annexed by the Germans for the use of the Nazi party.
In 2003, Muzeum Stanisława Wyspiańskiego (the Stanisław Wyspiański Museum) was moved to Szołayski House from ul. Kanoniczna (Kanoniczna Street) and a permanent exhibition was organised, dedicated to Feliks Jasieński.
Following a complete renovation and modernisation of the building in 2012, the name of the division was changed, from the Wyspiański Museum to Szołayski House. In addition to permanent and temporary exhibitions, the department presents lectures, concerts, theatre performances and art lessons for children and young people. Part of the ground floor of the renovated building has been adapted to serve the public, including a newly-created information centre, museum shop, café and multi-purpose hall.
Thanks to ramps and elevators, the collections at Szołayski House are also accessible for people with disabilities.